My most researched “late night iPhone” words in google for the past 12+ months have been,
- Runner Hamstring Pain
- Lateral Hip Pain while running
- Posterior Thigh Pain while running
And my favorite searches of all from sleepless nights when my low back, hip AND butt were hurting:
- Help, Runner Butt Injury
- HEAL my butt, now!
- (and one of my VERY favorite searches) What running shoes will help with my hamstring injury?
- Will I ever run again?
- …and so on and so on…
If you’re reading this, you’re probably chuckling just about now. We are a sad lot when we’re injured and trying to hit the road while STILL injured only CONTINUES the injury.
A big lesson I learned around the turn of the century was the definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different response.
Obviously I wasn’t running again yet as this was 2000, but the fact does remain that this also applies to running, training and INJURIES. Continuing to run while being injured will most likely not make your injury better.
Other super important lessons that I’ve learned through this are:
- If you are going to a doctor for your problem, make sure it’s somebody who is GOOD at fixing said problem.
- If you are willing to go to a Physical Therapist for a consult, make sure it is one who HAS fixed said problem successfully with others.
- Do what they tell you to do (not what you think “might be ok”).
I am finally on the slow road back to running and this is only because I finally started listening to my (new) doctor.
If you need information on where to turn, check out my Partners page for Top Tier Sports Medicine’s contact info.
Please drop me a line if you need more information on all of this.
Happy Trails! Hope to see you out on the road soon.